It is important for the city to properly honor the many missing and murdered Indigenous women across the continent on this national day of awareness.
Starting at 1pm:
- Opening Remarks and introduction - Mayor MacDonald
- Official welcome – performed by Coleen Pierre
- Traditional blessing – performed by Mavis Pierre
- Women’s Warrior Song – performed by Coleen & Mavis Pierre, plus 2
- Sariah (a 9-year old powwow dancer) will perform a traditional dance
- Saquilty will sing/drum 2 songs along with Addison and Harmony who will dance (from the Sasquatch dancers)
- FRIS will have a tent set-up with medicines to give away and a smudging station
- Saquilty, Coleen & Mavis to lead the walk with drumming and rattles around a 1km square (down to 119 turn R, down to 190a, up to Ford and back around to šxʷhék̓ʷnəs
- Mavis or Coleen to end with a closing prayer
If you’re able to attend please wear a red shirt. We will be gathering in the Meadows Room inside City Hall at 12:30pm for refreshments. Please let me know if you’re able to attend.